Apply to take your business to the next level.
Need Funding for Your Business? Start Here.
What is Launch?
Launch is a community-based effort led and funded by local financial institutions, that was created to help Lakeland’s entrepreneurs take their business concept to the next level. Launch provides micro-grants up to $10,000 to entrepreneurs who meet the requirements, fill out the application, and successfully pitch their concepts to Launch’s investment team.
It’s like Shark Tank but with happy people.
6 Pitch Nights
13 Grants Awarded
Frequently Asked Questions
You must meet the following requirements in order to obtain grant money:
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Business must be between 6 months and 5 years old.
- You must have sales and proof of concept.
- Business must be located in Lakeland, Florida.
- Business must have had less than $1,000,000 in sales the previous year.
- Business must be a formed legal entity.
- Applicants must not be eligible for traditional bank lending.
- It must be a “new to Lakeland” concept (meaning that you provide something that is unique and not just another Starbucks or hair salon etc.).
- The grant money must be used to scale business beyond solely increasing revenue (hiring employees, expanding space etc.).
If you have questions about whether you fit these requirements, email Christin Strawbridge at email@example.com.
You can apply for any amount up to $10,000. Judges will decide on the amount awarded, if any.
Launch micro-grant money cannot be used for the following:
- Personal Items
- Legal Fees
- Hiring Staff
- Purchasing Property
- Items that require unsecured additional funding to complete the project
- Projects related to: Real Estate, Accounting, Insurance
- Religiously-affiliated businesses
- Businesses that do not have a Lakeland zip code. Other Polk County zip codes do not qualify (i.e. – Mulberry, Bartow, Auburndale, etc.).
Does the money have to be paid back in full?
- No, this is a grant, not a loan.
- However, if you receive a grant, we ask that you invest 25% of Launch’s initial investment back into the fund within 24 months.
- Launch recipients will be invoiced monthly for the 25% give back portion 3 months following the use of the grant money.
- Grantees will be required to give regular reports of what they have done with the money as well as the outcome of the investment.
Born and Bread Bakehouse was a grant recipient in 2016 for the purchase of a double stack convection oven to increase production, capacity, and staff.
Meet Requirements (above) & Review Launch Rules
Review Application Worksheet
Pitch, if selected
Applications Open: Wednesday, January 2nd
Applications Due: Wednesday, February 20th
Pitch Workshop: Thursday, March 7th
Pitch Night: Thursday, March 14th
Past Grant Recipients
Our 2019 LAUNCH Pitch Night saw four business owners receive micro-grant funding for their fledgling companies.
Dave Reeves received a grant of $10,000 towards his startup company, Reeve’s Lawn Care, a full…
Boondock Studios makes handmade leather goods, woven fibers, hand-cut stone products, and other…
Cheeses & Crust received a grant of $10,000. This unique startup focuses on providing fresh-to-order grilled…
Ryan Moore of Gator Creek Technologies received a grant of $10,000. Gator Creek Technologies…
Justyna Thomson of Steed Armor received a grant of $10,000. Steed Armor creates high-quality saddle..
Chase & Shannon Webber of Little Remi received a grant of $6,500. Little Remi sells all natural products…
The Balance Culture received a grant of $10,000 in order to purchase 21 spin bikes for their women’s fitness…
Raney Wade, owner of Rane Made, received a grant of $5,000 in order to purchase sewing machines that…
Kevin O’Brien received a $10,000 grant to purchase camera equipment that will will help elevate the quality…
Michael Dodge, owner of Lakeland’s Beer Revolution, received a $10,000 grant to procure a 1-barrell brewing…
Noel Rosa, founder of New Sound Acoustics, received a $10,000 grant to increase his inventory in order to…
Patrick & Sarah Mulcahy received a $10,000 grant to purchase commercial equipment that will…
Jenn Smurr, Owner and Founder, received a $9,000 grant to purchase a new double stack oven. This will…